our Expedition bike
Our hope is that this bike will become the definitive expedition bike for world travellers from the UK.
This bike has been put together by experienced expedition cycle adventurer Tom Allen of TomsBikeTrip.com, using his experience of travelling the world by bike. Every part of this bike has been built with longevity in mind; every component carefully thought through.
We've resisted the temptation to up-spec it to justify an inflated price, using top-grade components where it makes sense and simple, easily replaceable parts where it doesn't. A Chris King headset, Tubus racks and supremely strong hand-built wheels are key components of this bike, eliminating as far as possible the chance of mechanical failure in the most critical long-term parts of the bike.
We've fitted friction/indexed thumbshifters to minimise the likelihood of shifter failure, and to allow the fitting of a strong 8-speed chain and cassette, while still offering very low gears. V-brakes provide consistent braking power and access to spares and parts the world over.
Many riders will want to add a hub dynamo for truly autonomous navigation and communication, and perhaps a Brooks saddle. Because we custom-build each bike to order these modifications (and many others) are all part of the service.
We can also quote competitively for Ortlieb and Brooks panniers. Unlike online retailers we set up the panniers to fit correctly on our racks, saving you a fiddly job.
- Frame: Oxford Bike Works 26” cromoly touring/expedition frame (Reynolds 525)
- Forks: Oxford Bike Works cromoly touring forks
- Colour: Choice of Blue (RAL 6034), Red (RAL3003) or Khaki green (custom colours are available on request)
- Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet 1 1/8”, black
- Rear Mech: Shimano Deore RD-M591, top normal, long cage, black
- Front Mech: Shimano Deore FD-M590, dual pull, low clamp, black
- Cassette: Shimano CS-HG41-8sp, 11-34T, 8-speed
- Shifter Levers: Shimano Ultegra SL-BS64, friction front, 8sp indexed/friction rear
- Shifter Mounts: Oxford Bike Works custom-assembled shifter mounts
- Chainset: Shimano FC-T3010, 170-175mm, 22-32-44T
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN55, 68mm, English thread
- Chain: KMC X8.99
- Rims: Ryde Sputnik 26” (559), 36H, silver, Schrader valve
- Front Hub: Shimano Deore LX HB-T670-S, 36H, silver
- Rear Freehub: Shimano Deore LX FH-T670-S, 36H, silver
- Spokes: Sapim Race double butted (front, rear non-driveside), Sapim Strong PG (rear driveside)
- Rim Tape: Velox 13mm cloth
- Skewers: Allen key non-QR
- Tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 26x1.75” with SmartGuard (or a variation thereof)
- Innertubes: Schwalbe AV12, 26”, Schrader valve
- Brake Levers: Shimano Alivio BL-T4000, silver
- Brake Calipers: Shimano Deore BR-T610-L, black
- Brake Shoes: Shimano S70C with cartridge shoe inserts (re-order code Y-8A2 98030)
- Pedals: Shimano PD-M324, combination SPD/flat (alternatives available)
- Saddle: Velo saddle/Various (custom fitted)
- Seatpost: Humpert Patent 27.2
- Handlebars: Ergotec 56-70cm
- Stem: Deda 60 - 130mm
- Grips: Ergon GP1 BioKork lock-on, standard, large (alternatives available)
- Bar-Ends: Oxford Bike Works rubberised anatomical bar-ends (alternatives available)
- Rear Carrier Rack: Tubus CargoEvo
- Front Lowrider: Tubus Tara
- Mudguards: Flinger Black, 26x1.5-2.2”, with rubber mudflaps
- Extras: Marine-grade stainless steel bolt replacements, , System EX steerer-tube bell, spares package
So, you've decided you're going to head off into the blue yonder but with all the equipment costs involved, you can't justify the full-on Expedition. We're now offering a slightly lower specced bike, designed to be more affordable, but still capable of withstanding the worst conditions you might face. We haven't compromised on the two key items - the frameset and wheels. The frameset is still our trusty Expedition frame set, (hand-built with Reynolds 525 tubing) and our wheels are still handbuilt.
A Cane Creek 40 series headset replaces the Chris King headset of the full-on Expedition, and standard 9 speed Shimano gear shifters replace the low-tech friction shifters. Schwalbe tyres are used, but we've gone for the well-proven Schwalbe Land Cruiser 26 x 1,75 tyre.
The full specification is below:
- Frame: Reynolds 525 Expedition
- Rear Mech: Shimano RD-M591
- Front Mech: Shimano FD-M590
- Cassette: Shimano CS-HG300
- Shift Levers: SL-M590
- Chainset: Shimano FC-T3010 44-32-22teeth
- Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN26 or equivalent
- Chain: KMC X-9
- Wheels: handbuilt by Ross Speirs - Ryde Zac 2000 Rims, Shimano Deore hubs, Sapim plain gauge spokes
- Brake Levers: Shimano BL-T610
- Brakes: Shimano BR-T610
- Pedals: Wellgo cage flat pedals
- Saddle:Velo comfort
- Seat post: Humpert Patent 27.2mm
- Racks: Axiom Rear
- Handlebars: Humpert Ergotec
- Handlebar Grips: Ergon GP1 or similar
- Stem: Deda 60 - 130mm
- Headset:Cane Creek 40 series
- Mudguards: NA
- Tyres: Schwalbe Land Cruiser 26 x 1.75
- Inner tubes: Schwalbe Schrader Valves